Undead-Xbox
Hello!
You are not registered/logged in with our community yet, please enter your information into the required fields to continue your visit!

Forum is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

*Nom Nom Nom Nom Brainz*
Latest topics
» GAC Front Post [BACKUP]
23rd February 2014, 7:04 pm by eaustinn36

» Eaustinn's Xbox360 Minecraft Server - General Rules / Information
5th November 2013, 8:19 pm by eaustinn36

» Eaustinn's Guide to a better RP (GTA)
5th November 2013, 7:57 pm by eaustinn36

» Posting will be disabled April 15th 2013
2nd November 2013, 1:09 am by eaustinn36

» Brace for it...
14th April 2013, 6:06 pm by Made in Finland

» Day-z official topic
14th April 2013, 2:11 pm by eaustinn36

» Flask & the Quack Crew play browser games!
4th April 2013, 2:44 pm by Meatshield718

» E-HOLE LAUNCHING MIDNIGHT!
3rd April 2013, 8:53 am by KZ Powned

» The Walking Dead (General Thread)
3rd April 2013, 8:49 am by KZ Powned

» Derailed II: An off topic topic blah blah post your naked pictures here.
1st April 2013, 3:48 pm by Made in Finland

» Dead VideoGame Society (Current Game: e-hole.net)
31st March 2013, 11:33 pm by Super Mega King

» GTA 4 Zombies night?
31st March 2013, 10:01 am by snowwolf1996

News Feed

Cars taken to the next level

Go down

Cars taken to the next level

Post  eaustinn36 on 22nd September 2011, 2:49 pm

Well, we all know that most cars are slowly becoming computers on wheels, phasing out all mechanical components, but nothing that has gone this far.

Researchers from Berlin University successfully created a fully computerized car, that passed all tests with flying colors. It can drive itself through city traffic, observe misc signals, and is completely street legal. Now some might say "this is just that google car all over again", but it isn't. "The Google car cannot drive through the city. It cannot capture the imagery and data necessary to allow the car to do things such as stop at red lights and observe speed limits and has problems dealing with weather." This latest design is nearing the final key step to a 100% computerized car.

http://www.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20110919-37681.html

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

0-60 in under 3.2 seconds, nearly a 200 mph top speed... and 78 mpg? You are looking at Porsche's latest legend.

For the latest UX Events, be sure to check the events section: http://www.undead-xbox.com/f18-events
R.I.P. 9/27/12  - A potential legend, has become a tragic failed dream.
avatar
eaustinn36
Master
Master

Posts : 4518

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/team99999

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  andrew on 22nd September 2011, 4:26 pm

I can drive a car by myself... I don't need a computer to do it and won't trust a computer to do so. At least not for another 10 or so years
avatar
andrew
I Are Postwhore.

Posts : 699

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Cry Vengeance on 22nd September 2011, 4:30 pm

Computers run on programs, they can't anticipate new data. So as soon as somebody walks out into the street during a green light or somebody merges without a turn signal...

Game over man.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
avatar
Cry Vengeance
Master
Master

Posts : 3199

View user profile http://www.undead-xbox.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  eaustinn36 on 22nd September 2011, 4:35 pm

Cry Vengeance wrote:Computers run on programs, they can't anticipate new data. So as soon as somebody walks out into the street during a green light or somebody merges without a turn signal...

Game over man.

This computer can anticipate new data; it is designed to. As mentioned in the article, this driverless car drove through the city streets for a long time, responding to traffic signals, pedestrians, and overtaking. It has built in sensors everywhere to detect the "unexpected", such as pedestrians leaping out onto the street, so it is an adaptive computer program.

"Laser scanners, radar and video cameras are used to see other cars and pedestrians while special software analyses the data, recognizes traffic situations and generates the necessary driving instructions. "

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

0-60 in under 3.2 seconds, nearly a 200 mph top speed... and 78 mpg? You are looking at Porsche's latest legend.

For the latest UX Events, be sure to check the events section: http://www.undead-xbox.com/f18-events
R.I.P. 9/27/12  - A potential legend, has become a tragic failed dream.
avatar
eaustinn36
Master
Master

Posts : 4518

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/team99999

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Jagdgeschwader on 22nd September 2011, 6:08 pm

eaustinn36 wrote:Well, we all know that most cars are slowly becoming computers on wheels, phasing out all mechanical components, but nothing that has gone this far.

Researchers from Berlin University successfully created a fully computerized car, that passed all tests with flying colors. It can drive itself through city traffic, observe misc signals, and is completely street legal. Now some might say "this is just that google car all over again", but it isn't. "The Google car cannot drive through the city. It cannot capture the imagery and data necessary to allow the car to do things such as stop at red lights and observe speed limits and has problems dealing with weather." This latest design is nearing the final key step to a 100% computerized car.

http://www.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20110919-37681.html


Does anyone else hate the fact that society is slowly becoming machines doing everything? I was born in the wrong time period. I should've been born in the 20s or something. I would've loved it.

I'm not lying right now, I'd destroy this car if I had the chance. Real life is slowly having the human element taken out of it.
avatar
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Posts : 2455

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  KGBOOM on 22nd September 2011, 6:20 pm

Watch/Read I,Robot

become scarred against robots for life.
avatar
KGBOOM
God damn Sunlight

Posts : 815

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Jagdgeschwader on 22nd September 2011, 6:22 pm

KGBOOM wrote:Watch/Read I,Robot

become scarred against robots for life.

Technology has its place, but when it starts taking the human element out of everything, it's gone too far in my opinion. 1.2 million fatalities from driving accidents is bad and all, but that's just a way of life. How safe does everyone have to be?

And I wonder if "Drive-by-wire" is similar to "Fly-by-wire" systems used in air-to-ground and ground-to-ground AT missiles. If so, this tech was around 40 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, the fact we know how to do all of this stuff is great, I just don't like how the human element is again being slowly taken out of everything.
avatar
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Posts : 2455

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Cry Vengeance on 22nd September 2011, 6:48 pm

Jagdgeschwader wrote:

Does anyone else hate the fact that society is slowly becoming machines doing everything? I was born in the wrong time period. I should've been born in the 20s or something. I would've loved it.

I'm not lying right now, I'd destroy this car if I had the chance. Real life is slowly having the human element taken out of it.


You should probably change your avatar then.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
avatar
Cry Vengeance
Master
Master

Posts : 3199

View user profile http://www.undead-xbox.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Jagdgeschwader on 22nd September 2011, 7:11 pm

Cry Vengeance wrote:
Jagdgeschwader wrote:

Does anyone else hate the fact that society is slowly becoming machines doing everything? I was born in the wrong time period. I should've been born in the 20s or something. I would've loved it.

I'm not lying right now, I'd destroy this car if I had the chance. Real life is slowly having the human element taken out of it.


You should probably change your avatar then.

F15s are flown by humans though.

Tech isn't necessarily a bad thing, but cars that just drive themselves? Might as well have robots go with them that do my job too.
avatar
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Posts : 2455

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  ApocalypseVVolf. on 22nd September 2011, 8:33 pm

Now I have another reason to be scared of vehicles.















Robots man, ROBOTS!
avatar
ApocalypseVVolf.
Lykanthropos

Posts : 1333

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  BLACK SNOW 13 on 22nd September 2011, 9:04 pm

Fuck, its Skynet.

Also this is just silly.
avatar
BLACK SNOW 13
The Great and Powerful
The Great and Powerful

Posts : 4232

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  eaustinn36 on 22nd September 2011, 9:24 pm

Jagdgeschwader wrote:And I wonder if "Drive-by-wire" is similar to "Fly-by-wire" systems used in air-to-ground and ground-to-ground AT missiles. If so, this tech was around 40 years ago.

Well I don't think there are traffic lights (or even traffic), pedestrians walking, lane changes, or anything similar to that up in the air. Fly-by-wire systems are far less complex.

@Apoc - Just wait until the computers in the cars become self-aware...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

0-60 in under 3.2 seconds, nearly a 200 mph top speed... and 78 mpg? You are looking at Porsche's latest legend.

For the latest UX Events, be sure to check the events section: http://www.undead-xbox.com/f18-events
R.I.P. 9/27/12  - A potential legend, has become a tragic failed dream.
avatar
eaustinn36
Master
Master

Posts : 4518

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/team99999

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  . ADestroyer360 on 22nd September 2011, 9:30 pm

Robot car? Permanent designated driver.
avatar
. ADestroyer360
DM Extraordinaire

Posts : 1404

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  G00EY LOUIE on 22nd September 2011, 9:34 pm

Don't panic guys! I found the one that can save us.

avatar
G00EY LOUIE
Thats right, limp away!

Posts : 268

View user profile https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/messagewall/index.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  ApocalypseVVolf. on 22nd September 2011, 10:17 pm

eaustinn36 wrote:
@Apoc - Just wait until the computers in the cars become self-aware...

Then it's snap, crackle, and pop,

and crunch,

and deathly gurgle.
avatar
ApocalypseVVolf.
Lykanthropos

Posts : 1333

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  steveeeee on 23rd September 2011, 12:01 pm

seems like a waste of time and money when people are perfectly capable to drive themselves around, but whatever they're german so i'd expect no less.

we've come a long way though thats for sure..
avatar
steveeeee
Hail to the King Baby.

Posts : 391

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  eaustinn36 on 23rd September 2011, 9:03 pm

Well, i don't think this new technology will replace everything... just offer an alternative. Look at Hybrid cars: You don't see them as the ONLY cars on the street. It would be nice though to have your own personal driver all the time.

Less accidents, more safety, and no more DWI's.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

0-60 in under 3.2 seconds, nearly a 200 mph top speed... and 78 mpg? You are looking at Porsche's latest legend.

For the latest UX Events, be sure to check the events section: http://www.undead-xbox.com/f18-events
R.I.P. 9/27/12  - A potential legend, has become a tragic failed dream.
avatar
eaustinn36
Master
Master

Posts : 4518

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/team99999

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Desert Sleepy on 23rd September 2011, 9:20 pm

eaustinn36 wrote:Less accidents, more safety, and no more DWI's.

They could eliminate DWI's just by having those breathalyzer start up things (you know, the things in frequent drunk driver's cars that make it so the car will only start if they test sober) built into modern cars. Isn't it somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 people killed by drunk drivers in the US yearly? That would be virtually gone within 15 years or so. I bet if they did that though, there would no doubt be hordes of dumb-asses protesting it.
avatar
Desert Sleepy
Meerkat Maniac

Posts : 2505

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  eaustinn36 on 23rd September 2011, 9:56 pm

I would rather have a computer driver than blow my car every time I sit in it Rolling Eyes

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

0-60 in under 3.2 seconds, nearly a 200 mph top speed... and 78 mpg? You are looking at Porsche's latest legend.

For the latest UX Events, be sure to check the events section: http://www.undead-xbox.com/f18-events
R.I.P. 9/27/12  - A potential legend, has become a tragic failed dream.
avatar
eaustinn36
Master
Master

Posts : 4518

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/team99999

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Jagdgeschwader on 23rd September 2011, 10:05 pm

I'd rather just embrace a normal way of life...
avatar
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Posts : 2455

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Desert Sleepy on 24th September 2011, 1:50 am

eaustinn36 wrote:I would rather have a computer driver than blow my car every time I sit in it Rolling Eyes

You don't have to blow your car, you just have to blow into some tube. Not a bad price to pay in exchange for 50,000 lives or so a year. And this can be done now, and in 15 years or so most every car on the road would have them (except people who refuse to buy a new car for decades). I can't imagine computer drivers will be ready for the road anytime soon.
avatar
Desert Sleepy
Meerkat Maniac

Posts : 2505

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  ApocalypseVVolf. on 24th September 2011, 2:59 am

I think we should all be driven around by larger scale shake-weights.
avatar
ApocalypseVVolf.
Lykanthropos

Posts : 1333

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Silvatos. on 24th September 2011, 3:27 am

Hmm First the laws of physics being broken,and now HAL on wheels.
I think the bible said something about In the end of days You would See Such Amazing Technological Feats You wouldn't beleve them.
avatar
Silvatos.
Thats right, limp away!

Posts : 225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Jagdgeschwader on 24th September 2011, 11:57 am

silvatos. wrote:Hmm First the laws of physics being broken,and now HAL on wheels.
I think the bible said something about In the end of days You would See Such Amazing Technological Feats You wouldn't beleve them.

Why do you Capitalize random Words when You're Speaking? Is That to empathize Random Words in the sentenCe?
avatar
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Posts : 2455

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars taken to the next level

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum