Undead-Xbox
Hello!
You are not registered/logged in with our community yet, please enter your information into the required fields to continue your visit!

Forum is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

*Nom Nom Nom Nom Brainz*

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Undead-Xbox
Hello!
You are not registered/logged in with our community yet, please enter your information into the required fields to continue your visit!

Forum is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

*Nom Nom Nom Nom Brainz*
Undead-Xbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» GAC Front Post [BACKUP]
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty23rd February 2014, 7:04 pm by eaustinn36

» Eaustinn's Xbox360 Minecraft Server - General Rules / Information
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty5th November 2013, 8:19 pm by eaustinn36

» Eaustinn's Guide to a better RP (GTA)
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty5th November 2013, 7:57 pm by eaustinn36

» Posting will be disabled April 15th 2013
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty2nd November 2013, 1:09 am by eaustinn36

» Brace for it...
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty14th April 2013, 6:06 pm by Made in Finland

» Day-z official topic
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty14th April 2013, 2:11 pm by eaustinn36

» Flask & the Quack Crew play browser games!
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty4th April 2013, 2:44 pm by Meatshield718

» E-HOLE LAUNCHING MIDNIGHT!
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty3rd April 2013, 8:53 am by KZ Powned

» The Walking Dead (General Thread)
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty3rd April 2013, 8:49 am by KZ Powned

» Derailed II: An off topic topic blah blah post your naked pictures here.
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty1st April 2013, 3:48 pm by Made in Finland

» Dead VideoGame Society (Current Game: e-hole.net)
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty31st March 2013, 11:33 pm by Super Mega King

» GTA 4 Zombies night?
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty31st March 2013, 10:01 am by snowwolf1996

News Feed

third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty

+18
eaustinn36
ApocalypseVVolf.
Desert Sleepy
MrKurt2012
FoundDa Kiwi
sgt zombie23
snowwolf1996
Jagdgeschwader
ztron
Made in Finland
KGBOOM
bman4782
El Mexi Can 915
WestHybrid 360
mboddz751
Meatshield718
DeadApe
Super Mega King
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty

Post  Super Mega King 4th January 2013, 5:12 pm

No in all seriousness though, I can't be the only one turned off by the genre (and FPSes, too, but that's a different topic).

Which is why I picked up Spec Ops: The Line on the cheap. I'd heard it was a deconstruction of the "shooter" genre and that the game was 10/10

third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty K2bPY

First off, despite the fancy word "deconstruction," it's still very much a shooten game. That's my biggest complaint. The gameplay is really mediocre and wore off fast, and I can't play it for more than an hour at a time without starting to get annoyed or bored at the shooten.

The story is pretty good so far, though, which is saying a lot for a shooting game where you play as the leader of a group of soldiers. Almost no game has ever done that while having an engaging story that is worth discussing (can someone name one?). That being said, Spec Ops has had a couple moments that actually provoked emotion out of me, and while one part of the game sort of felt like it bordered on the "shock value" kind of story that Modern Warfare 3 tried to do, it still felt sincere and logical.

Meatshield's beat the game, and he said the story only gets better from where I'm at, so I'm excited to finish it. I'm not really excited to play it, though, just because of how painfully average the gameplay is.

If you like cover-based shooters, especially ones with a good story, then try out Spec Ops.

I hear the multiplayer is dogshit though.

Spoiler:
Super Mega King
Super Mega King
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty Re: third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty

Post  DeadApe 4th January 2013, 5:23 pm

Heard good things about the game but didn't feel like buying it, so I watched a lets play of it a while back. Looked interesting. The gameplay looked average but still solid.

My favorite third person shooter is still Gears of War (all of 'em.) Yeah its a bro-tier game but if you embrace it as such then it is a ton of fun.
DeadApe
DeadApe
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Empty Re: third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty

Post  Meatshield718 4th January 2013, 5:36 pm

I would argue that Spec Ops: The Line is more of a deconstruction of war than shooters themselves. There's a lot of civilian causality, chemical weapon usage, and those REAL character moments that give the "War is hell" image. The gameplay is a gears of war clone with modern guns that feel pretty realistic. The AI is a lot smarter than gears too.

If you play this game, play on the hardest difficulty allowed. (You have to beat the game on that difficulty to get the true hardest difficulty). The game is WAY too easy otherwise. The real reason to play is the story, which involves some really cool choices revolving around the idea of Cognative Dissonance during war.

If Mass Effect hasn't ruined that idea for you, play the game. It's pretty fun, and not that long.

Meatshield718
Meatshield718
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post  mboddz751 4th January 2013, 6:09 pm

buys one third person shooter...tries to say all third person shooters suck because you're dissatisfied with your purchase...

edit: agreed with meatshield. Try mass effect if you haven't. and Deadape raised a good point as well. Gears, GTA, and mass effect are all great 3rd person shooters IMO
mboddz751
mboddz751
I type in my sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  WestHybrid 360 4th January 2013, 6:18 pm

Spec Ops: The Line is one of the few games I sold back because I disliked it. Underline thing for me was that it was too repetitive, and despite the story being meaningful and pretty damn deep, it wasn't worth keeping on my shelf anymore. But I don't see why it's being used as an example against third-person games. Third Person gaming, and more particularly third person shooters, are some of my favorites. Lost Planet, for example, is a game that can never get old for me.

For one, some of the best games out there are from a third person angle. The Gears of War series, The Saints Row games, Dead Space one and two, Grand Theft Auto series, Red Dead Redemption, Resident Evil series, and that's only to name a few. I like the angle these games choose to show their stories.

All in all, I don't see a reason to knock the third-person genre based on Spec-Op's own individual gameplay. It's not bad because it's third-person it's bad because it's not a sound game, and it's repetitive. Well, that's being said on the assumption that Spec Ops ruined the third-person shooter for you. If not, I'd like to see more proof of why third-person shooters are so bad. All you showed me is a generally bad game.
WestHybrid 360
WestHybrid 360
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Mega King 4th January 2013, 6:25 pm

mboddz751 wrote:buys one third person shooter...tries to say all third person shooters suck because you're dissatisfied with your purchase...

edit: agreed with meatshield. Try mass effect if you haven't. and Deadape raised a good point as well. Gears, GTA, and mass effect are all great 3rd person shooters IMO

The title was a joke, sorry if that wasn't clear. I like Mass Effect and GTA but I wouldn't really call them third person shooters.

WestHybrid 360 wrote:Spec Ops: The Line is one of the few games I sold back because I disliked it. Underline thing for me was that it was too repetitive, and despite the story being meaningful and pretty damn deep, it wasn't worth keeping on my shelf anymore. But I don't see why it's being used as an example against third-person games. Third Person gaming, and more particularly third person shooters, are some of my favorites. Lost Planet, for example, is a game that can never get old for me.

For one, some of the best games out there are from a third person angle. The Gears of War series, The Saints Row games, Dead Space one and two, Grand Theft Auto series, Red Dead Redemption, Resident Evil series, and that's only to name a few. I like the angle these games choose to show their stories.

All in all, I don't see a reason to knock the third-person genre based on Spec-Op's own individual gameplay. It's not bad because it's third-person it's bad because it's not a sound game, and it's repetitive. Well, that's being said on the assumption that Spec Ops ruined the third-person shooter for you. If not, I'd like to see more proof of why third-person shooters are so bad. All you showed me is a generally bad game.

Okay from these two responses I can tell I was really unclear. I'm not saying Spec Ops is making me hate the third person shooter genre, I'm saying that I went into this game already not being a big fan of third person shooters. There's only so much of cover-based shooting that I can play (like Gears of War) before I get sick of it. I bought this game because I heard this game was something extraordinary, but was disappointed that the gameplay is nothing more than an average TPS. In addition I didn't really want to start an argument against third person shooters, though if you're interested I can explain why I don't like the genre; the purpose of this topic was more for me to talk SPECIFICALLY about Spec Ops.

And, there's a difference between third-person games and third-person shooters. Mass Effect (arguably), GTA, RDR, Saints Row, Dead Space, are all third person games but are not "shooters," though shooting is in all of them. They range from "open world adventure" to "survival horror," and I'm NOT knocking either of those genres.
Super Mega King
Super Mega King
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  El Mexi Can 915 4th January 2013, 6:32 pm

Super Mega King wrote:If you like cover-based shooters, especially ones with a good story, then try out Spec Ops.
He clearly recommends the game at the end of his post. It's like you guys didn't even read the post
El Mexi Can 915
El Mexi Can 915
R.I.P Magicman

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadApe 4th January 2013, 6:34 pm

Yeah I don't think SMK meant to take an offensive stance with this post. He was just saying he's not a fan of third person shooters but he enjoyed Spec Ops. I don't have a problem with the genre, but the games that you guys mentioned are not third person shooters, they are just games that have a third person perspective.
DeadApe
DeadApe
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post  bman4782 4th January 2013, 6:40 pm

Max Payne 3 is good too.

bman4782
Guns dont kill zombies, I kill zombies.

Back to top Go down

Post  WestHybrid 360 4th January 2013, 7:12 pm

DeadApe wrote:Yeah I don't think SMK meant to take an offensive stance with this post. He was just saying he's not a fan of third person shooters but he enjoyed Spec Ops. I don't have a problem with the genre, but the games that you guys mentioned are not third person shooters, they are just games that have a third person perspective.

I can understand the part about that for Resident Evil and Dead Space not necessarily fitting the genre but for GTA and Lost Planet, third person shooter is practically what it says on the box. If it's a third person perspective, and you're shooting things every step of the way, I think that's reason enough to define it as a Third Person Shooter.

El Mexi Can 915 wrote:He clearly recommends the game at the end of his post. It's like you guys didn't even read the post

He also clearly says his distaste for third-person shooters at the very beginning, which I chose to address in my post. I also talked about Spec Ops: The Line in my post, saying that it's not a sound game, agreeing with him on some points.

It's like you didn't even read my post.
WestHybrid 360
WestHybrid 360
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Mega King 4th January 2013, 7:19 pm

Grand Theft Auto is definitely not a third person shooter though I can see where you're coming from. The GTA series isn't built around the shooting mechanics and shooting isn't the main draw/focus of the game. It's an adventure game with shooting elements, so I think it'd be more accurately described as "action-adventure," though now we're just being nitpicky about wording.

Have you played the first two Max Paynes, Hybrid? They're great games, and essential for any fan of Third Person Shootin'
Super Mega King
Super Mega King
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  El Mexi Can 915 4th January 2013, 7:19 pm

WestHybrid 360 wrote:It's like you didn't even read my post.
You got me
El Mexi Can 915
El Mexi Can 915
R.I.P Magicman

Back to top Go down

Post  WestHybrid 360 4th January 2013, 7:32 pm

Super Mega King wrote:Grand Theft Auto is definitely not a third person shooter though I can see where you're coming from. The GTA series isn't built around the shooting mechanics and shooting isn't the main draw/focus of the game. It's an adventure game with shooting elements, so I think it'd be more accurately described as "action-adventure," though now we're just being nitpicky about wording.

Have you played the first two Max Paynes, Hybrid? They're great games, and essential for any fan of Third Person Shootin'

I can see where you're coming from with GTA. I was just pointing out that some of the games listed, while not being refined only to shooting, has shooting as the primary aspect of the game.

I played Max Payne 2 a little bit. Wasn't my favorite game but it was pretty good.
WestHybrid 360
WestHybrid 360
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  KGBOOM 4th January 2013, 8:55 pm

Three words to describe Third-person shooters.

Chest high walls.

One of my only gripes with 3rd person shooters. The other gripe being meatheaded space marines but that's another rant i'll save for another day.
KGBOOM
KGBOOM
God damn Sunlight

Back to top Go down

Post  Made in Finland 4th January 2013, 9:59 pm

KGBOOM wrote:Three words to describe Third-person shooters.

Chest high walls.

One of my only gripes with 3rd person shooters. The other gripe being meatheaded space marines but that's another rant i'll save for another day.
Not every TPS has a cover system y'know.
Made in Finland
Made in Finland
Definition Of Sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post  mboddz751 4th January 2013, 11:36 pm

El Mexi Can 915 wrote:
Super Mega King wrote:If you like cover-based shooters, especially ones with a good story, then try out Spec Ops.
He clearly recommends the game at the end of his post. It's like you guys didn't even read the post

i wasn't even talking about spec ops dammit. I questioned the title, which turned out to be a joke.
mboddz751
mboddz751
I type in my sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  mboddz751 4th January 2013, 11:39 pm

Super Mega King wrote:Grand Theft Auto is definitely not a third person shooter though I can see where you're coming from. The GTA series isn't built around the shooting mechanics and shooting

WHAT thats some buuuuuulllllllshhiiiiiiit. sure its open world, but what are you doing for easily 90% of the game besides driving? hell you can even shoot while driving.
mboddz751
mboddz751
I type in my sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  mboddz751 4th January 2013, 11:42 pm

DeadApe wrote:Yeah I don't think SMK meant to take an offensive stance with this post. He was just saying he's not a fan of third person shooters but he enjoyed Spec Ops. I don't have a problem with the genre, but the games that you guys mentioned are not third person shooters, they are just games that have a third person perspective.

dude wtf are you talking about. you're almost always holding a gun in all of those games.
mboddz751
mboddz751
I type in my sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  Made in Finland 4th January 2013, 11:43 pm

That's not what the definition of a TPS is, idiot.
Made in Finland
Made in Finland
Definition Of Sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post  ztron 4th January 2013, 11:43 pm

Dead space, Red dead, gta, saints row, and mass effect aren't third person shooters?
third person shooters are shitty and if you like them then you're shitty Wat8
ztron
ztron
Thats right, limp away!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagdgeschwader 4th January 2013, 11:44 pm

Third person shooters tend to be 'meh' for me.

Holy triple post Mboddz!
Jagdgeschwader
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  mboddz751 4th January 2013, 11:45 pm

Made in Finland wrote:That's not what the definition of a TPS is, idiot.

ight how about you give me a much more vivid description you fucking prick. or are you gonna try and overanalyze what holding a gun with a camera over your shoulder is? something can still be played from the perspective of a TPS while having a certain genre like sci-fi or survival horror
mboddz751
mboddz751
I type in my sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  snowwolf1996 4th January 2013, 11:49 pm

most TPS that ive played are on tracks, whereas TP games have a little more variety such as GTA where you have anywhere in the city to go...theres 1difference
snowwolf1996
snowwolf1996
Cry Owes Me A Custom Title
Cry Owes Me A Custom Title

Back to top Go down

Post  Made in Finland 4th January 2013, 11:56 pm

mboddz751 wrote:or are you gonna try and overanalyze what holding a gun with a camera over your shoulder is?
Again, that's not the fucking definition of a TPS, the genre just derives it's name from some of the charasterics that define it, but it doesn't mean every 3rd person game allows you to shoot is a TPS, and you just insisting and throwing a tantrum isn't gonna change that.

Some of the games mentioned have TPS elements (most notably Dead Space), but not single one of them is primarily made as a TPS. They're all horror, adventure, action, whatever genre with TPS elements as a sidefeature.
Made in Finland
Made in Finland
Definition Of Sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post  mboddz751 4th January 2013, 11:57 pm

Made in Finland wrote:
mboddz751 wrote:or are you gonna try and overanalyze what holding a gun with a camera over your shoulder is?
Again, that's not the fucking definition of a TPS, the genre just derives it's name from some of the charasterics that define it, but it doesn't mean every 3rd person game allows you to shoot is a TPS, and you just insisting and throwing a tantrum isn't gonna change that.

Some of the games mentioned have TPS elements (most notably Dead Space), but not single one of them is primarily made as a TPS. They're all horror, adventure, action, whatever genre with TPS elements as a sidefeature.

you litterally just chewed up and spit our what my last post was (i basically just said what you did). try again you pathetic troll.

edit: did i ever state the defintion of a TPS...no didn't, so stop trying to prop me up on a point i never made

Last edited by mboddz751 on 4th January 2013, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
mboddz751
mboddz751
I type in my sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next