Undead-Xbox
Hello!
You are not registered/logged in with our community yet, please enter your information into the required fields to continue your visit!

Forum is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

*Nom Nom Nom Nom Brainz*

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Undead-Xbox
Hello!
You are not registered/logged in with our community yet, please enter your information into the required fields to continue your visit!

Forum is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

*Nom Nom Nom Nom Brainz*
Undead-Xbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» GAC Front Post [BACKUP]
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty23rd February 2014, 7:04 pm by eaustinn36

» Eaustinn's Xbox360 Minecraft Server - General Rules / Information
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty5th November 2013, 8:19 pm by eaustinn36

» Eaustinn's Guide to a better RP (GTA)
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty5th November 2013, 7:57 pm by eaustinn36

» Posting will be disabled April 15th 2013
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty2nd November 2013, 1:09 am by eaustinn36

» Brace for it...
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty14th April 2013, 6:06 pm by Made in Finland

» Day-z official topic
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty14th April 2013, 2:11 pm by eaustinn36

» Flask & the Quack Crew play browser games!
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty4th April 2013, 2:44 pm by Meatshield718

» E-HOLE LAUNCHING MIDNIGHT!
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty3rd April 2013, 8:53 am by KZ Powned

» The Walking Dead (General Thread)
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty3rd April 2013, 8:49 am by KZ Powned

» Derailed II: An off topic topic blah blah post your naked pictures here.
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty1st April 2013, 3:48 pm by Made in Finland

» Dead VideoGame Society (Current Game: e-hole.net)
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty31st March 2013, 11:33 pm by Super Mega King

» GTA 4 Zombies night?
The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty31st March 2013, 10:01 am by snowwolf1996

News Feed

The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents)

+2
Ryanhw12
Jagdgeschwader
6 posters

Go down

The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents)

Post  Jagdgeschwader 26th March 2013, 7:06 pm

Alright, so here's the deal. Today, I was driving and at one point, I need to take a left turn. The thing is, I forgot about that, and I was in the center lane. There's nobody approaching behind me, so I think that I can take the turn to get into the left lane from the position I'm at. An SUV is in front of me, and I bump bumpers with him while turning.

I'm pissed for one. This guy who puts up his "Noble old man" routine totally fucking shafts me. I'm not understating when I say this, I barely scratched the bumper of his $50,000 SUV. The damage was something that I fixed in Auto Shop every freakin' day a couple years ago, in 30 minutes or less, and I get a call from my insurance agent not too long ago saying that the damages are upwards of, get this.

ONE
FUCKING
THOUSAND
DOLLARS

My license plate holder of a bumper isn't even damaged, and it is literally the flimsiest thing to ever grace a vehicle, and I'm getting charged $1000?

Not only that, but Mr. Executive over here, (he was late to a meeting! Oh no!) said in his kindest voice ever "Oh, I'm not even going to make a claim on my insurance, we can just pay this under the table it's so minor" and that went out the freaking window in a second because I get an angry call from my parents a whole twenty minutes later yelling at me for getting into an accident, telling them he had made a claim on his insurance.

Does ANYONE know anything about how to fight this? It is my fault, I acknowledged that without hesitation, but I did nowhere near $1000 worth of damage. I'm completely of the mind this guy has the full intention to pay $50 to the body shop and go on a shopping spree for himself with the other $950+.
Jagdgeschwader
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Back to top Go down

The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty Re: The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents)

Post  Ryanhw12 26th March 2013, 7:18 pm

Of topic But I also was involved in a car crash today.
Ryanhw12
Ryanhw12
Zombie Killer of The Year
Zombie Killer of The Year

Back to top Go down

The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents) Empty Re: The Scene of an Accident (Open if you know a thing about car accidents)

Post  Desert Sleepy 26th March 2013, 7:30 pm

That sucks. I doubt there's much you can do about it, but you'd probably have better luck asking someone who knows this stuff. I'd spoken with someone before about this. Apparently, the car insurance business is one where you're literally guaranteed to make money, regardless of what happens.

You could try to locate him and stealth fix his bumper late in the night or something using your auto shop experience.
Desert Sleepy
Desert Sleepy
Meerkat Maniac

Back to top Go down

Post  eaustinn36 26th March 2013, 7:47 pm

Hmm, this might not be exactly putting you in a better situation, but what kind of SUV was it? You say 50k-ish, so i'm assuming it is an upper scale one.

What i'm getting at, is that maybe it could have been $1,000. Cars aren't like they used to be, and even a simple bumper has so many electrical sensors and other tech in it (like those found in upper-scale models) and can be very expensive to replace. If it was like an Audi Q7 or other high-end SUV, $1,000 is very believable. You say it was just scratch, but was it really? Even simple minor dents can run you into the hundreds (paint might not be cheap either). This is also why cars are declared "totaled" so easy these day, because if you hit someone with a $30,000 car (and mess up the front bumper, but not much more), chances are, it will cost more to repair than to just buy a new car. I mean, look at it this way: did the airbag go off? A modern one costs $800 right there to replace, and we aren't even at the bodywork yet.

Long story short, I don't think you can fight this, because, given that it is an up-scale vehicle, combined with today's modern technology, a "scratch" costing $1000 is believable.

It makes more sense if you break it down (assuming the impact damages the bumper sensors, and he is replacing the bumper): ~$550 for new bumper, ~$100 new paint, ~$50 taxes, ~$300 labor rates... and that's a grand.

EDIT: Did you get any pictures of the damage? Even if I wasn't right, it is hard to fight something there is no proof of.
eaustinn36
eaustinn36
Master
Master

https://www.youtube.com/user/team99999

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadApe 26th March 2013, 11:16 pm

You don't have many options. You can get a lawyer but that'll cost you more than you save so there is no point.

Your best bet might be trying to talk to the guy and explaining that your a young adult low on cash and also a car mechanic and know that the damage is not that costly.
DeadApe
DeadApe
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagdgeschwader 27th March 2013, 1:40 am

Appreciate the comments so far.

After talking to my insurance agent, $1000 was apparently "A gross overestimation" by the body shop. I have no exact numbers so far, but I'm of the mind that they were taking into account what you were talking about.

No airbag went off. Remember this was barely an impact. Acceleration from a few feet, five MPH at best, glancing blow.

$50,000 SUV is also an exaggeration on my part. It was a Toyota, I would guess probably about a $35,000 one, so pretty standard as far as SUVs go. It didn't have any of those stupid rear view cameras or anything, and I can't possibly think of what you would be sensing in a bumper (Why are cars so painfully superfluous these days?), and there's no way the body guy is even thinking about replacing a bumper because of this damage. He'd be doing far more work than needed, and I can only imagine he has far more important projects to be working on. At least that's how it always was in shop.

In any case, I'm still standing by my first assessment in that it was nowhere near a $1000 hit. While he was nothing of a car person, he seemed to be in agreement that just my deductible would cover the damage anyway. After talking with my insurance agent, I'm relatively confident it will turn out fine, as far as accidents go. It's my first in almost five years of driving, and even then it's a minor error.

And no, there's no pictures, it's not something I was really thinking of at the time nor do I carry a camera on me, but if it really came down to it I could always ask the body guy about it.

EDIT:

This isn't my vehicle, but the same make and model. Just to give you an idea, that bumper that doesn't even deserve the name isn't even damaged from the hit, and it's pretty much made out of paper thin metal. If that isn't damaged, you can imagine the 'damage' to his vehicle. It's just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

Double Edit:

I remember telling Steve I got into an accident today, and he asked me (well first if I was dead. He's so thoughtful!) if my car was totaled.

I don't know about you guys, but my vehicles are my pride and joy. I would probably cry if one of them was totaled.

All.
Week.
For probably the next couple of months.
Jagdgeschwader
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  eaustinn36 27th March 2013, 2:03 am

Ah a Toyota; you did him a favor... (kidding... or am I?)

It is good that it was a gross overestimate. Still though when the numbers come in, I'd still expect in the hundreds. Labor rates play a big portion into it (even for minor work), and you better believe that if he made a claim, he is taking it to a premium repair shop and not some backroom "cheap & just get it looking okay" shop, so it will be higher (but what does he care, for him it's free). Insurance companies as Sleepy mentioned are always looking for a profit as well.

As for the bumper thing, I know this isn't a toyota, but here is an example (as for "what sensors are there?"): http://www.mercedesparkingsensors.co.uk/

Another good one is here:
http://www.mersag.com/cmer-4961.html

"Blind Spot Assist uses a radar sensor system to monitor the areas on both sides of your vehicle. It supports you from speeds of approximately 20 mph (30 km/h). A warning display in the exterior mirrors draws your attention to vehicles detected in the monitored area. If you then switch on the corresponding turn signal to change lane, you will also receive an optical and audible collision warning. Blind Spot Assist uses sensors in the rear bumper for monitoring purposes."

EDIT: @your edit - Well, cars back then were designed to take a hit with minimal damage. Modern cars have safety as a bigger priority (i.e. crumple zones of cars) and therefore design things, like a bumper, to crack or break even on slow impacts, just to absorb the energy from an impact better, at the convenience of the driver (but not the convenience of his wallet).
eaustinn36
eaustinn36
Master
Master

https://www.youtube.com/user/team99999

Back to top Go down

Post  A Sneaky Whale 27th March 2013, 2:10 am

My brother got hit in the rear bumper by a lady. she cracked the bumper and to replace the bumper in the 2005 Pontiac vibe was $1000 so i can understand why its expensive
A Sneaky Whale
A Sneaky Whale
Zombies dun like meh.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagdgeschwader 27th March 2013, 2:15 am

I did do him a favor.

Anyway, I was expecting at least a couple hundred dollars, which I would be fine with since auto mechanics charge $200 just for standing up, but when I heard $1000+ I basically lost my shit.

After looking at that, I don't think there are any retard-proof, made-for-women-drivers parking sensors or radar systems in his car (SERIOUSLY? HOW HARD IS IT TO LOOK?). I didn't see anything that looked like a panel or as if bolts went into it like on those models.

@Edit: While you are correct for the most part, with muscles cars such as mine, it's actually the worst of both worlds. They're not made out of decent gauged steel like say, an F-150 from the day or an International for instance. They're generally a unibody design, thin, thin metal, and still lack anything that resembles a safety feature short of seat belts and brake lights, all in the interest of keeping the weight down.

I still personally think cars should be made out of steel, but hey, that's just me. Rather be able to fix my car than buy a new one.
Jagdgeschwader
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down