Undead-Xbox
Hello!
You are not registered/logged in with our community yet, please enter your information into the required fields to continue your visit!

Forum is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

*Nom Nom Nom Nom Brainz*

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Undead-Xbox
Hello!
You are not registered/logged in with our community yet, please enter your information into the required fields to continue your visit!

Forum is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

*Nom Nom Nom Nom Brainz*
Undead-Xbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» GAC Front Post [BACKUP]
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty23rd February 2014, 7:04 pm by eaustinn36

» Eaustinn's Xbox360 Minecraft Server - General Rules / Information
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty5th November 2013, 8:19 pm by eaustinn36

» Eaustinn's Guide to a better RP (GTA)
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty5th November 2013, 7:57 pm by eaustinn36

» Posting will be disabled April 15th 2013
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty2nd November 2013, 1:09 am by eaustinn36

» Brace for it...
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty14th April 2013, 6:06 pm by Made in Finland

» Day-z official topic
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty14th April 2013, 2:11 pm by eaustinn36

» Flask & the Quack Crew play browser games!
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty4th April 2013, 2:44 pm by Meatshield718

» E-HOLE LAUNCHING MIDNIGHT!
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty3rd April 2013, 8:53 am by KZ Powned

» The Walking Dead (General Thread)
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty3rd April 2013, 8:49 am by KZ Powned

» Derailed II: An off topic topic blah blah post your naked pictures here.
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty1st April 2013, 3:48 pm by Made in Finland

» Dead VideoGame Society (Current Game: e-hole.net)
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty31st March 2013, 11:33 pm by Super Mega King

» GTA 4 Zombies night?
What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty31st March 2013, 10:01 am by snowwolf1996

News Feed

What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic]

+20
A Groovy Tophat
Vicious Fox
ApocalypseVVolf.
DJDemitri
Ryanhw12
Joon
Snyper493
Pwnisher James
andrew
Slacker Hero
NegativeHUNTER
allen0007
bman4782
Jagdgeschwader
VrAzZLe Meister
eaustinn36
FoundDa Kiwi
. ADestroyer360
Dexta117
Super Mega King
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic]

Post  Super Mega King 8th January 2012, 4:51 pm

Figured I'd go ahead and start this and use this topic as a means to record what books I will read over the year.

I'll use the format [Date Finished] - Book Title/Author

[Early January] - 11/22/63 by Stephen King
[January 8] - Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
[January 11] - So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld
[January 12] - Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
[January 15] - Glasshouse by Charles Stross

I read 11/22/63 for pleasure and Revolution because I'm a part of a book reading contest at school (ten books, team-based quiz over the books, team with the most points wins.) 11/22/63 is Stephen King's newest novel and is about a man who is heralded into a scheme to travel back in time to stop the assassination of JFK. The catch? He can only travel back to 1958, five years before the assassination. A lot of King books have questionable, left-field endings; sudden twists that leave the reader disoriented, but this book did not. It had a twist, yes, but it was a very enjoyable book with an enjoyable ending.

Revolution bugged me a bit as being marketed toward thirteen year olds with how melodramatic it was. That being said, it was an interesting book about a young girl who finds a diary of another young girl during the French Revolution. Not really much to say on it, it's a neat little story, especially if you can look over the melodrama.

So Yesterday was about a couple of teenagers involved in the market of all things cool pursuing someone that is trying to disrupt the cool pyramid. It's a short, fun read, not really anything substantial, and I'll probably forget about it in a month.

Ready Player One is about an online game so massive that everyone plays it for everything from school to adventuring to business meetings. When the game's creator and lead designer, James Halliday, dies, he lives a video will, promising controlling stock of his company and his fortune of 240billion dollars to any one who can find his secret Easter egg. Players must find three keys to open three gates to find the Easter egg. It's a story about unlikely hero Wade Watts's obsession with the Easter egg and the obstacles he goes through to seek it. I read this 400 page book in a single sitting. This is required reading for ANY geek or nerd. This book has quickly escalated to my top three, perhaps even my very favorite book. I can not stress this enough: read Ready Player One. You will not be sorry. Thanks to Eaglendia for the awesome suggestion.

Glasshouse was a pretty good sci-fi book, though I wouldn't recommend it to non-fans of the genre. In a future where technology has accelerated beyond belief, a group of people willing undergo memory surgery and enlist in a program that places individuals in a recreation of a 1990-2000 suburban town. From there, naturally, things go pretty south. Nice read.

What about you? What are you reading?

Last edited by Super Mega King on 15th January 2012, 4:45 am; edited 4 times in total
Super Mega King
Super Mega King
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty Re: What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic]

Post  Dexta117 8th January 2012, 5:42 pm

[Reading]
A Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin

[Going to read]
A Storm of Swords 1: Steel and Snow - George R.R. Martin
A Storm of Swords 2: Blood and Gold - George R.R. Martin
A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin
A Dance with Dragons - George R.R. Martin
Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

So yea, that is what I am and am going to read.
Dexta117
Dexta117
The Man of Tomorrow

Back to top Go down

What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty Re: What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic]

Post  Super Mega King 8th January 2012, 5:45 pm

How are you watching Clash of Kings?
Super Mega King
Super Mega King
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Dexta117 8th January 2012, 5:51 pm

Super Mega King wrote:How are you watching Clash of Kings?

I'm not watching A Clash of Kings....
Dexta117
Dexta117
The Man of Tomorrow

Back to top Go down

Post  . ADestroyer360 8th January 2012, 5:54 pm

[Reading]
11/22/63-Stephen King
People of Sparks-Jenny DuPrau

I agree. King can tell a good story, but the endings can get pretty derpy.
. ADestroyer360
. ADestroyer360
DM Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post  FoundDa Kiwi 8th January 2012, 6:16 pm

Reading: Mein Kampf - Adolf Hitler.

Going to read:
The Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi.
The Code of the Samurai; A modern translation of the code of Bushido - Thomas Cleary.
The Iliad - Homer.
Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri.
Have read:
Day by Day Armageddon - J.L. Bourne.
Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile - J.L. Bourne.
The Art of War - Sun Tzu.
The Green Mile - Stephen King.
Lord of The Flies - William Golding.
Flags of Our Fathers - James Bradley.

Last edited by FoundDa Kiwi on 13th January 2012, 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
FoundDa Kiwi
FoundDa Kiwi
Zombie Killer Of The Year

Back to top Go down

Post  eaustinn36 8th January 2012, 6:21 pm

Since when can you speak German Kiwi?

Reading: Today's Newspaper

Going to read: Tomorrow's Newspaper

And that sums up my reading within the past year (aside from a few car magazines here and there).
eaustinn36
eaustinn36
Master
Master

https://www.youtube.com/user/team99999

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Mega King 8th January 2012, 6:21 pm

Err, sorry, mind was somewhere else. Meant how is A Clash of Kings?
Super Mega King
Super Mega King
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  FoundDa Kiwi 8th January 2012, 6:22 pm

eaustinn36 wrote:Since when can you speak German Kiwi?
English Translation.
FoundDa Kiwi
FoundDa Kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  Dexta117 8th January 2012, 6:39 pm

Super Mega King wrote:Err, sorry, mind was somewhere else. Meant how is A Clash of Kings?

From what I can remember, so far it has been pretty good and I know it will get better later on in the story, but I am only 1/4 of the way through and I really haven't felt like reading in a while, but hopefully sometime soon I can get round to finishing it.
Dexta117
Dexta117
The Man of Tomorrow

Back to top Go down

Post  VrAzZLe Meister 8th January 2012, 7:20 pm

I'm not too fanatic about reading books. Though, some time I'll probably read:
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

and

11/22/63, it sounds like it's worth the read.
VrAzZLe Meister
VrAzZLe Meister
Cry Owes Me A Custom Title

https://www.youtube.com/user/VrAzZLeMeister?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagdgeschwader 8th January 2012, 8:44 pm

Have read:
Art of War -Sun Tzu
Brave New World -Aldous Huxley

Plan on reading:
Der Untergang des Abendlandes -Oswald Spengler

I also read the newspaper. lol
Jagdgeschwader
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  eaustinn36 8th January 2012, 9:16 pm

Jagdgeschwader wrote:
I also read the newspaper. lol

+5
eaustinn36
eaustinn36
Master
Master

https://www.youtube.com/user/team99999

Back to top Go down

Post  bman4782 8th January 2012, 9:31 pm

Of Mice And Men

bman4782
Guns dont kill zombies, I kill zombies.

Back to top Go down

What are you reading? [Book Discussion Topic] Empty Re:what are you reading? [Book disscusion topic]

Post  allen0007 8th January 2012, 11:18 pm

[Reading]
The Walking Dead vol. 14-Robert Kirkman

[Going to read]
The walking dead vol. 15-Robert Kirkman
Catching Fire-Suzanne Collins
MockingJay-Suzanne Collins
The Dresden Files book 1-Jim Butcher

And that's about it
allen0007
allen0007
I don't run fast.

Back to top Go down

Post  NegativeHUNTER 9th January 2012, 1:17 am

Just finished World War Z now Im re-reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower Very Happy
NegativeHUNTER
NegativeHUNTER
I Are Postwhore.

Back to top Go down

Post  Slacker Hero 9th January 2012, 6:20 am

Dexta117 wrote:[Reading]
A Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin

[Going to read]
A Storm of Swords 1: Steel and Snow - George R.R. Martin
A Storm of Swords 2: Blood and Gold - George R.R. Martin
A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin
A Dance with Dragons - George R.R. Martin
Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

So yea, that is what I am and am going to read.

I'm actually reading A Clash of Kings right now too.

Then I'm gonna read some non fiction for a while.

I tried doing this last year, but I lost interest. I want to read at least 12 books this year, which should be easy.
Slacker Hero
Slacker Hero
hipster as fuck

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew 9th January 2012, 4:06 pm

Who needs books when you have television.
andrew
andrew
I Are Postwhore.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pwnisher James 9th January 2012, 5:54 pm

Shut the fuck up faggot.^^

[Reading]
Prisoner of Dieppe by Alistair Morrison
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six By Tom Clancy

[Going to Read]
Not to sure yet, I will update soon though.
Pwnisher James
Pwnisher James

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagdgeschwader 9th January 2012, 8:36 pm

andr_00_ew wrote:Who needs books when you have television.

I wonder why everyone nowadays has a 200 word vocabulary, but I digress.
Jagdgeschwader
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Snyper493 12th January 2012, 2:45 pm

[Currently Reading]
The Engle by Penelope Mills Parker
Hyrbids by Whitley Strieber
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Chosen one by Francis W. Porretto
Ember Rising Light by C.K. Mullinax
Doorway of the Triquetra by Lenore Wolfe
Halo: Cryptum by Greag Bear

[Have Read]
Early January-
Gorinthians by Justen Lee Mitchell
Shalilayo by Justin Lee Mitchell
2012: War for Souls by Whitly Strieber
December-
The Fire by James Paterson
EVE: The Burning life by Hjalti Danielsson

I can go on forever of what I have read in the past year. Let me put it this way, I can read multiple books at a time and keep them seperate from eachother, it's a curse and a gift. I cannot let a book drop to the layside once I start it. If you would like descriptions of any of the books I have read or is currently reading, just let me know and I'll do another post.

Long live hard print, and thank god for digital copies!

Last edited by Snyper493 on 12th January 2012, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistype)

Snyper493
I don't run fast.

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Mega King 12th January 2012, 5:58 pm

Glad to see all the readers we have on UX. I never knew so many of you were into so many different books. Favorite book(s) everyone?

Book log update:

[January 11] - So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld
[January 11] - Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

So Yesterday was about a couple of teenagers involved in the market of all things cool pursuing someone that is trying to disrupt the cool pyramid. It's a short, fun read, not really anything substantial, and I'll probably forget about it in a month.

Ready Player One is a book about an online game so massive that everyone plays it for everything from school to adventuring to business meetings. When the game's creator and lead designer, James Halliday, dies, he lives a video will, promising controlling stock of his company and his fortune of 240billion dollars to any one who can find his secret Easter egg. Players must find three keys to open three gates to find the Easter egg. It's a story about unlikely hero Wide Watts's obsession with the Easter egg and the obstacles he goes through to seek it. I read this 400 page book in a single sitting. This is required reading for ANY geek or nerd. This book has quickly escalated to my top three, perhaps even my very favorite book. I can not stress this enough: read Ready Player One. You will not be sorry. Thanks to Eaglendia for the awesome suggestion.

Last edited by Super Mega King on 13th January 2012, 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Super Mega King
Super Mega King
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Joon 12th January 2012, 6:09 pm

Im reading a book called Papillon, I think it means butterfly in french Wink

Old but good!
Joon
Joon

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagdgeschwader 12th January 2012, 8:03 pm

Super Mega King wrote:Glad to see all the readers we have on UX. I never knew so many of you were into so many different books. Favorite book(s) everyone?

Art of War was by far one of the most intriguing books I have read. I read it once in freshman year, again in sophomore, then again in senior year. It's principles can be adapted to many things other than warfare, and I have applied some of the lessons I learned from it to classes, tactical gains, problem solving, relations with others, and even my girlfriend.

Fantastic book, about 150 pages, I encourage everyone to read it and memorize it to the letter. Very Happy

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.

All warfare is based on deception.

For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.

If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight.

Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley.

These token few can be applied to a lot of real life situations,

Last edited by Jagdgeschwader on 12th January 2012, 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jagdgeschwader
Jagdgeschwader
The Unknown Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryanhw12 12th January 2012, 8:18 pm

Reading
Dead or alive by tom clancy 240 pages in about 700 pages to go.
Ryanhw12
Ryanhw12
Zombie Killer of The Year
Zombie Killer of The Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next